How to Get Google to Index New or Important Pages on Your Site
May 07, 2017
Get Found on Google. Index your website and each page.
by Maureen McCabe
Google offers Search Console (a tool formerly called “Google Webmaster Tools”) to assist in communicating with Google. It provides the tools and resources to help website owners, webmasters, marketers and SEO professionals monitor website performance in the Google search index. Google defines its tool as a
“no-charge web service by Google for webmasters. It allows webmasters to check indexing status and optimize visibility of their websites. As of May 20, 2015, Google rebranded Google Webmaster Tools as Google Search Console.”
Simply put, this tool allows you to see how Google is crawling your site. It tells you the pages Google has indexed, the terms or keywords Google acknowledges are associated with your content and on what page of the search results you rank for those terms.
It also assists when creating a new or updated site as it also shows the transfer or redirect errors (known as 404 errors). Every website should have Google Search Console installed.
You are able to instruct Google or send Google a message asking them to index your whole site or pages on your site through Search Console.
Now there is a short-cut.
Five Easy Steps
- In the Google search bar key in: submit url to google
- If you have set up an account with Google Search Console enter your password. If you don’t have a Google account, click here to setup your free account.
- Enter the URL (it can be for the entire website or a specific page)
- Confirm that you are not a robot by clicking the reCAPTCHA box.
- Press submit.
Don’t panic when you see one of the following messages:
- Page may not immediately rank high in Search results, but can improve over time. Monitor your site’s search traffic in Search Console.
- If you have a new URL, tell us about it here. We don’t add all submitted URLs to our index, and we can’t make predictions or guarantees about when or if submitted URLs will appear in our index.
How you can use “submit url” to your advantage:
Use the tools when you want information on your site crawled or re-crawled and evaluated by Google quickly to allow it to be considered for search queries. Getting your website page indexed does not guarantee ranking but it is the first step. The following are examples of the types of information for which you should use these tools:
- New blog
- Redesign of the homepage or internal page on your site
- New products (for e-commerce sites)
- New services
- Updated information
When you need easy-to-understand answers to questions about your marketing strategy or problems with your digital presence, give McCabe Marketing a call. We have been helping businesses like yours for over ten years.
For more marketing and website tips check out these posts:
Why You Need Google’s Free Tool: Search Console (formerly Webmaster Tools) for your Website. Get the Free Guide.
Our Guide to Online Marketing Acronyms
Why Customer Reviews Are Important for Your Business – Part 2
Like what you've read? Please share this article, here: